An End-to-End Open & Modular Architecture for IoT
While the Internet of Things (IoT) represents a significant opportunity, IoT architectures are often rigid, complex to implement, costly, and create a multitude of challenges for organizations. First of all, in order to effectively pull together an end-to-end architecture for IoT, organizations must manage multiple vendor solutions, validate that they work together, integrate them to ensure the right functionality, and provide for future enhancement compatibility. Secondly, there are many evolving players, a myriad of point solutions, shifting industry standards, and a multitude of protocols, all of which needs to work together seamlessly. And last, but not the least, most IoT solutions in the market are proprietary in nature that offers little interoperability, stifles innovation, and creates vendor lock-in.
Early adopter organizations who locked into proprietary “IoT platforms” are now finding themselves tied to limited functionality, locked into a particular vendor, and rethinking their choices. Many are now looking for more open, and modular alternatives, recognizing the value of open source community as a hub for collaborative innovation and continuous development for IoT.
An Open, Modular Architecture for IoT
Cloudera together with Red Hat, the world’s leading provider of open source software solutions, and Eurotech, one of the leaders in the operational technology (OT) space, have collaborated to develop an end-to-end architecture for IoT that is based on open standards and is integrated, flexible and runs on multi or hybrid-cloud environments. This architecture is designed to provide all of the key foundational elements that organizations need to quickly and securely roll out IoT use cases.
From onboarding and managing connected devices or ‘things,’ to enabling protocol translation and performing analytics at the edge; from delivering real-time analytics and machine learning on IoT data, to accelerating application development cycles and enabling integration with enterprise applications, this edge-to-cloud architecture enables enterprises to accelerate their IoT deployments while ensuring data security and compliance. This architecture also features end-to-end data management and analytics capabilities, including the ability to push machine learning and intelligence back out to the ‘edge’ for real-time decision making.
This architecture is built and developed on some of the key open source projects and innovations out of the Eclipse IoT Foundation and the Apache Software Foundation, and gives customers the option to start with “free” community projects and then easily transition to commercially available supported enterprise-grade versions as well.
Moreover, the modular IoT architecture offers enterprises the freedom to run in the cloud and/or on premises, enabling portability of data and applications and eliminating dependence on a single proprietary cloud vendor. Its built-in security features enable analytics from the edge to the cloud.
Key components of the end-to-end architecture
This end-to-end, integrated, and open IoT architecture consists of:
- Intelligent IoT edge stack with Eurotech Everyware Software Framework (ESF) and Red Hat middleware to support device connectivity, data ingestion and control, intelligent routing, and enable analytics at the edge
- IoT integration hub with Eurotech Everyware Cloud (EC) and Red Hat middleware running on OpenShift Container Platform, to effectively onboard and manage connected disparate devices, enable access control and authentication, control the operational flow of data downstream, and operate distributed, container-based IoT applications
- Data management and analytics platform, based on Cloudera Enterprise, for IoT data processing, persistent storage, analytics, and machine learning to enable deeper business insights and actionable intelligence
- Application development and delivery environment for development, deployment, and integration of cloud-native applications enabled by Red Hat OpenShift Container Platform.
Why this matters to Enterprises today?
This end-to-end, open architecture for IoT offers some key advantages and value to customers considering deploying IoT use cases. Some of the key benefits include:
- Accelerated Deployment & Reduced Risk for Customers
- The integrated end-to-end architecture drastically minimizes cost and effort required to piece together an end-to-end IoT solution, and further enables accelerated time to deploy IoT use cases
- Cut costs and reduce risks and complexity associated with managing millions of connected devices in large-scale disparate environments
- Integrated and tested by Cloudera, Eurotech, and Red Hat to ensure compatibility and interoperability
- Allows customers to start at any part of the end-to-end architecture with the assurance that the key components will integrate and fit together
- Scale individual components in the architecture to meet evolving demands
- Runs anywhere including multi-cloud or hybrid-cloud environments
- Ability to deploy components to the edge, the data center or to a public cloud
- Grow individual components to match evolving requirements
- End-to-End Analytics & Machine Learning
- Enables end-to-end analytics from edge-to-cloud, with the ability to push machine learning models back out to the edge for real-time decision making
- Streaming analytics and machine learning to deliver deep business insights and actionable intelligence
- End-to-End Data Security & Compliance
- Pre-integrated security and manageability across the architecture including access, authorization, and authentication
- Comprehensive data security, compliance, and governance tools
- Enabling Open Source Innovation
- Built off of open source projects and a vibrant community innovation model that ensures open standards, interoperability, and no vendor lock-in
- Sustain flexibility with open source to take advantage of collaborative innovation
To Learn More:
- Join us at Strata Data Conference, New York where Cloudera together with Red Hat will be delivering a session on Using Machine Learning to Drive Intelligence at the Edge highlighting this end-to-end, open architecture
- Visit the Cloudera Solutions Gallery page showcase the end-to-end solution
- Watch our on-demand webinar on An Open Source Architecture for IoT