Cloudera Provides First Look at Cloudera Data Platform, the Industry’s First Enterprise Data Cloud
Cloudera Unveils Industry’s First Enterprise Data Cloud in Webinar
How do you take a mission-critical on-premises workload and rapidly burst it to the cloud? Can you instantly auto-scale resources as demand requires and just as easily pause your work so you don’t run up your cloud bill?
On June 18th, Cloudera provided an exclusive preview of these capabilities, and more, with the introduction of Cloudera Data Platform (CDP), the industry’s first enterprise data cloud. Over 2000 customers and partners joined us in this live webinar featuring a first-look at our upcoming cloud-native CDP services.
Cloudera shared a comprehensive overview and demonstration of the all-new Cloudera Data Platform (CDP). This demo highlighted powerful capabilities like Adaptive Scaling, Cloud Bursting, and Intelligent Migration that make running data management, data warehousing, and machine learning across public clouds and enterprise data centers easier, faster and safer. The webinar concluded with a wide-ranging Q&A session in which Cloudera experts entertained more than 300 questions posed by the worldwide audience.
Below is a quick recap of the topics covered, followed by the most frequently asked questions posed by attendees.
Cloudera Data Platform. First-of-its-kind enterprise data cloud
Data is recognized as the fuel powering enterprise digital transformation. But companies often struggle to get control of and manage their most important business asset, particularly when data is spread across multi-cloud and hybrid environments. We often hear from companies who are:
- Struggling to combat proliferating silos and control their customers’ and operations data
- Unsatisfied with the inflexibility of simple cloud analytics
- Trapped and surprised at spiraling cloud costs
- Overwhelmed by new data – images, video, sensor and IoT
- Unprepared to meet escalating data privacy regulations
In our quest to help customers to overcome these challenges and get control of their data, we have worked closely with many leading enterprise IT professionals worldwide. Overwhelmingly, what they told us they need is what we call an enterprise data cloud. It is unlike anything enterprises have ever seen before. An enterprise data cloud is:
- Hybrid and multi-cloud – provides choice to manage, analyze and experiment with data in any public cloud and in private data centers for maximum choice and flexibility.
- Multi-function – solves the most demanding business use cases – applying real-time stream processing, data warehousing, data science and iterative machine learning across shared data at scale.
- Secure and governed – simplifies data privacy and compliance for diverse enterprise data with a common security model to control data on any cloud – public, private and hybrid.
- Open – facilitates innovation of the open source community, the choice of open storage and compute architectures, and the confidence and flexibility of a broad ecosystem
This is the vision driving the Cloudera Data Platform roadmap which will be released later this summer, first in the public cloud and later in the year for on-premises and the private cloud. This industry-first enterprise data cloud offering will include cloud-native services for data warehousing, machine learning, streaming ingest, and operational data stores. It will be the first multi-cloud, multi-function data management and analytics offering with a unified data catalog, consistent security and governance managed through a powerful control plane, providing single pane of glass visibility. CDP will bring new innovations to make enterprise data easier, faster and safer:
- Cloud Bursting -Powering business agility by intelligently auto-bursting workloads to cloud, eliminating unpredictable scenarios and complementing data center capacity.
- Intelligent Migration – Providing policy-based controls to automate data movement between on-premises file systems and cloud object stores for one-time migration and ongoing, incremental movement of both data and metadata.
- Adaptive Scaling – Intelligently adjusting cloud resources – adding or suspending – as demands change, to contain out-of-control cloud costs.
- Shared Data Experience (SDX) – Enabling consistent security, governance, and control across data stores and cloud services.
Highlights of Q&A Session
Cloudera received extraordinary interest in CDP from participants, exemplified by the more than 300 questions posed throughout the webinar. We have listed a few key questions below.
How competitive is CDP compared to other providers with similar cloud services?
There is no other platform like CDP on the market. CDP competes effectively with point solution vendors by providing a comprehensive, but simpler platform with multi-function, unified security and governance capabilities. CDP also compares favorably with cloud providers by supporting multi-cloud capabilities and true hybrid cloud options that provide unrivaled cloud choice, and by eliminating cloud lock-in.
Do you have auto-scale capabilities?
Yes, but better. CDP provides adaptive scaling that can automatically spin workloads up when needed and suspend their operation when complete – capabilities for better cloud cost control. Enterprises can auto-scale and optimize to meet the demands of workloads. CDP also eliminates the noisy neighbor problem for a better analytic experience for all users, and facilitates isolating and controlling workloads based on user type, workload type, and workload priority.
Should I continue to add new use cases to my existing platform, or wait for CDP?
There is no reason to wait. Cloudera’s current platforms – CDH and HDP – support the same valuable business use cases as CDP. CDP will be easier and faster to use, but fundamentally supports the same use cases. We suggest that you continue to add new use cases to existing platforms since CDP will provide predictable migration paths and backward compatibility with CDH and HDP.
What is the difference between CDP and HDP/CDH?
CDP is the combined platform representing the best of both CDH and HDP. The first release of CDP will be available on public cloud. Subsequent releases will include CDP private cloud and CDP on-premises.
What’s next for you?
We recommend the following call-to-action as the next step for customers and partners:
If you missed the CDP Preview, watch the replay
To get the latest, join our CDP early notification list
About the Author:
Lakshmi Randall is Director of Product Marketing at Cloudera, the enterprise data cloud company. Previously, she was a Research Director at Gartner (News – Alert) covering Data Warehousing, Data Integration, Big Data, Information Management, and Analytics practices. To learn more, visit www.cloudera.com or follow the company @cloudera or the author on Twitter (News – Alert): @LakshmiLJ
The post Cloudera Provides First Look at Cloudera Data Platform, the Industry’s First Enterprise Data Cloud appeared first on Cloudera Blog.